Project : STRENGTHENING CAPACITY OF MINORITY INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC ACTIONS - MEDIA SUPPORT TO MINORITY SELF-GOVERNMENT
Project is supported by Matra Kap programme | Netherlands Embassy in Zagreb, Croatia
Implementation of Constitutional Law on the Rights of National Minorities and protection of national minority rights in general is a complex and long-term process which requires education, training and motivation of all subjects – from minority representatives to local authorities and civic society. It also requires support of the general public to be carried out successfully.
Within this context it is especially important to train representatives of national minorities (minority institutions, organisations, etc.) in the field of public communication and presentation of their problems and needs to the general public.
Institute STINE will organise education for minority representatives as well as for the representatives of local media dealing with minority issues. Education will be implemented via seminar – workshop "HOW TO MEDIATE AND REPRESENT MINORITY INTERESTS IN THE PUBLIC" ( for representatives of national minority organisations and local media ) and through printing and distribution of educational manual – brochure "ROLE AND POSSIBILITIES OF MINORITY SELF-GOVERNMENT". Print brochure will also present a permanent manual for training of the minority policy actors.
The goal of this action is to train minority representatives for better public action, sensitize public for minority issues and strengthen motivation of minority representatives for a more active participation in the public life of local communities.
Project will be implemented June 2013 – February 2014.
Projekt : JAČANJE KAPACITETA INSTITUCIJA NACIONALNIH MANJINA ZA JAVNO DJELOVANJE – MEDIJSKA PODRŠKA MANJINSKOJ SAMOUPRAVI
Projekt financira : MATRA KAP PROGRAMA /VELEPOSLANTVO KRALJEVINE NIZOZEMSKU U RH
Implementacija Ustavnog zakona o pravima nacionalnih manjina i zaštita i razvoj manjinskih prava u hrvatskom društvu je komplesan i dugoročan proces koji pored ostaloga zahtjeva i stalno educiranje , osposbljavanje i motiviranje svih subjekata manjinske polittike : predstavnika manjinskih institucija , lokalnih vlasti , civilnog sektora , medija …
U tom kontekstu posebno je značajno osposbljavanje predstavnika manjinskih institucija i udruga
- training representatives of minority organisations for better public communication and presentation of their problems and needs in public
- training journalists and editors in local media to cover minority self-government, minority rights and implementation of the Constitutional Law on National Minority Rights in general
- establishment and development of a more quality and correct communication between representatives of minority organisations and media
- increase of the minority initiatives in local communities and better communication with the local authorities leading to resolution of minority problems.
- local media and minority civic organisation will give more space and activity to minority problems and strengthening of inter-ethnic tolerance in their communities.
- creating conditions for development and strengthening of public consciousness about importance of protection and development of minority rights and inter-ethnic tolerance
a) Educational seminar:
ducational seminar "HOW TO MEDIATE AND REPRESENT MINORITY INTERESTS IN THE PUBLIC" for representatives of national minority organisations and local media.
Seminar will cover the following subjects:
- Functions of minority self-government and role of the national minority councils
- Content and work methods of minority councils
- Communication with media and " minority PR "
- Public advocating (and lobbying) of minority needs and interests
- Communication of minority council with local self-government and local authorities
- Methods and approaches to sensitizing the public for minority issues
Lectures will be held by experts dealing with the issues of national minorities, local self-government and media promotion of special needs and programs (from Council for national minorities, Faculty of political sciences, NGOs, etc.)
Seminar will involve 20 participants (10 representatives of minority organisations and 10 representatives of local media) from all parts of Croatia.
Seminar will be probably held in Daruvar (alternative locations: Sisak, Gospić).
b) Print manual (brochure):
On the basis of seminar there will be print manual (brochure) "ROLE AND POSSIBILITIES OF MINORITY SELF-GOVERNMENT" which will contain six thematic subjects covering most relevant issues of minority self-government and presentation of minority needs and interests in public and specially to local and regional authorities that are tasked with dealing with such issues.
The brochure will also contain most relevant instructions related to the work and functioning of the councils, representatives and coordination of national minorities.
Issues will be covered in an illustrative and practical manner so that they could be useful to a wider circle of subjects of minority politics.
The manual will be printed in 80 pages of A5 format with circulation of 1500 copies. Manual will be distributed to national minority organisations, media, representatives of local government, NGO representatives, etc.